Sunday 25 October 2009

History of Halloween: The Haunted History of All Hallows' Eve

Hi there folks!
Halloween is round the corner, as you already know. We'll do something about it on Thursday, so make sure to come to class. You won't regret it! =]
Now, just to get you in the mood and also to learn about the history behind the holiday, here's a very interesting listening activity I created last year with a great video I found on www.history.com.
Click on the links below for the file with the exercises and the video
 
When you're done with the activities, you can leave your answers in the comments section.

I hope you like it and learn from it!!

Oh, and it's American English!! 

6 comments:

  1. Wow!
    I had to listen the video more than twice in order to get some words!
    Even with my headphones on, I couldn't distinguish any of them!
    It had to be american speaker!!!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry, Ruth! More than twice is OK for this kind of activity!! But it's really good listening practice! As I told you, the audios from the student's book are way too easy, so you all need something more challenging.
    I'm sure you did well! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nobody dares to post the keys to the exercise??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since nobody ventured to post the keys, here they are:
    1. death
    2. would survive
    3. confuse
    4. all saints
    5. rituals
    6. starving
    7. shrank
    8. costumes
    9. unknown
    10. silver bullet

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, not so bad; but I have to improve my american listening!!!!!

    I had 4 failures:
    2.- I wrote will, not would.
    6.- I heard starting ( without any meening at all!); but it was starving.
    7.- Shrunk, instead of shrank.
    9.- I don't know why, but I heard uncleared (even I don't know if it exists!), instead of unknown.

    At least, I tried it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, if you only got 4 answers wrong, you did quite well, in fact!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete